Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Scrunchy Border

This had to be the most pain-staking activity involved in setting up my classroom this year. Sure, it's cute, but this bit of eye candy took me FOUR days to put together. I may be a little ADD in that I couldn't handle all the cutting, folding, scrunching, and stapling for long periods of time. Seriously though, this was at least an hour each day.

Here is what I did. Maybe you can take it upon yourself to tell me what I can do to shorten the process if I ever wttempt to do this again in the future.
First, cut lots and lots of strips of butcher paper. I made mine five inches wide. Then fan fold ALL of it. It doesn't have to be perfect, but that doesn't mean you won't waste a good amount of time doing it.


Next, scrunch up all of your hard work, flatten it out gently since you want to keep the scrunchy look, then fan fold again. Really, is there an easier way?


My fan folds were about an inch and a half to two inches wide. Then I stapled... and stapled... and stapled... This border was not done by the first day of school. And quite frankly after doing one long side and a bit of a short one, I didn't care anymore.


I stapled into the valley fold right in the middle of the paper about an inch or inch and a half from the last one.
When you eventually finish stapling days later, you will want to even it all out by poofing it up and then scrunch it yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment